Monday, August 6, 2007

The Moments that Matter


There are days that I absolutely love being a mother. Days that I think my baby is just the greatest blessing. Now that Caleb is 4 1/2 months old, we seem to be having more and more of those days. He is just such a delight to be around.

The other day, I was singing him a little song that he just thought was so funny. He laughed and laughed and laughed. I don't think it was a coincidence, however, that the words to the song were, "It's time for Caleb's nap." He tends to give us his best smiles whenever we catch him not napping. Like he knows how guilty he is.

He's actually been laughing a lot more lately. And to his father's utter delight, Caleb seems to be ticklish. I wasn't really ticklish at all until I got pregnant. And now, even though I'm not pregnant anymore, I'm still rather ticklish. Brandon is so beyond ticklish that he loves that I am now too. And now Caleb is as well which makes him all the more fun to play with.

Saturday evening, Caleb and I went for a walk to get the mail. It was actually a really nice evening out (possibly the only nice evening we've had in Texas). There was a cool breeze blowing gently through. Caleb loved being outside in such nice weather. He thoroughly enjoyed looking around and not having sweat drip down his back for once while he did it.

Some nights, I'm so in love with my baby that I don't want to put him to bed. We're just having too much fun together and I don't want to see him go. But I still put him to bed. It'll be easier when the summer is over, because at least then his daddy will be home at bedtime, making it easier for me to part with the baby.

If there is one thing I have learned this summer, it's that the only thing that really matters in life is our families. When this life is over and done with, it won't matter how much money we left behind, whether rich or poor, or what kind of car we drove. All that's going to matter to us, the only thing we can really take with us, will be our family. I'm extremely grateful for my little family.

One more great thing about Caleb -- notice in the picture above, he's giving himself bunny ears. How fun is he? Not to mention that cute little tongue.

1 comments:

Patti said...

What would we do without our families? Children are the most precious gift we can ever be given and to have them grow up and turn into people we enjoy spending time with is even more of a treasure. Lucky for me that I have a daughter who is such a delight in my life! I can hardly wait until you get home!
Mama