Sunday, December 9, 2007

Following the Star


Church was really good today. We had a Christmas-based sacrament meeting today. I don't know if they'll do more of a program than they did today. But today's was really good. The youth speaker spoke on the symbols of the Christmas story. Often, you'll hear things about how Christmas things (the tree, candy canes, etc.) symbolize part of the story, but this was about the symbolism in the actual story.

He started with the shepherds that were told of Christ's birth by an angel, relating them to God as our Shepard. But then extended it further to say that we too must be shepherds and look after God's sheep.

He talked about the wise men. That no matter how educated we become, we must still look to Christ and follow Him.

Lastly, he talked about the star itself. He related it to the prophets and how they guide us to Christ. But there are so many other things that can be related. The scriptures, for example, teach us of Christ and will lead us back to Him.

I don't feel like I'm adequately capturing the spirit of his message. I'm not even sure what I'm trying to say here. But I really liked the talk. Sometimes, during Christmas, it's so easy to get caught up in all the shopping and decorations and forget the true spirit of the holiday. I feel so blessed to have a testimony of the Savior. If there was one gift I could give to others, it would be to feel of His love.

1 comments:

Patti said...

Nice blog today. We had a good church meeting too. I'll tell you about it on my blog. Where did you get the nativity picture (that's the name that comes up when I click on it)?